Vitiligo is a skin disease that causes the skin to lose its color in blotches or patches and can insidiously grow. Vitiligo can affect any part of the skin or even the scalp and inside of the mouth, the intensity varies from person to person, it is more apparently visible on people with dark skin complexion, our skin color is determined by melanin, when the cells that produce melanin die or stop functioning, it causes the vitiligo skin disease. It is a non-life-threatening disease.
The exact cause of vitiligois unclear and undeclared and there are many studies that are being conducted to get to the crux of the problem and find the reason that leads to this issue, however,here are some speculations about the same:
- It can be due to an autoimmune disorder where the immune system turns overactive and destroys melanocytes
- It can be triggered by a stressful event
- When the skin is damaged by a severe sunburn or injury
- If the skin reacts to some Chemicals
- It can be hereditary and run in the family
- A neural cause
However, even though the cause for vitiligois unclear to this day, some people have claimed the success of being able to control the Vitiligo at the early stage with home remedies and diet restrictions, however, these remedies may not be effective for everyone as the science does not confirm its effectiveness and there are studies conducted regarding the effects of the following remedies.
- A mixture of lemon and sweet basil extract
- Ginkgo biloba paste
- A mixture of turmeric and mustard oil
A healthy diet full of some essential nutrients and food rich in antioxidants helps boost the immune system thus known to have been effective in controlling vitiligo in the early stage. Keeping the body hydrated with plenty of water intake also helps. Here are some eatables that hold such potential:
- Fruits such as apples and bananas
- Green leafy vegetables and root vegetables such as carrots
- Figs and Dates
Certain Vitamins have helped vitiligo patients by curbing the intensity of the discoloration and helped in the healing process. There has been no medical evidence to this but Vitamins such as Vitamin B-12, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D have helped alleviate problems. Beta Carotene, enzymes, and amino acids are also considerable solutions
Some Minerals also hold potential in controlling the Vitiligo from resurfacing again. Minerals such as:-
- Copper. Drinking water out of a copper cup has been a good source of copper to many
- Iron. Cooking meals in an Iron skillet help provide the body with healthy amounts of Iron that helps heal the Vitiligoskin disease
- Zinc. Some food items containing high amounts of Zinc might be restricted in your Vitiligo diet, so Zinc based supplements help the body restock on zinc.